MaineStreet User ID and Password
You will use your UMS ID and password to log in to the MaineStreet portal. If you already use a maine.edu email account, then you have already activated your UMS Account. If you need to activate your UMS Account, follow the instructions on this webpage: accounts.maine.edu Note: If you need help with your User ID and/or password, call the IT User Services Help line at 1-800-696-4357.
Enrolling in Benefits
New employees will be contacted by the UMS Employee Benefits Center via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org email account. The email will contain important benefits information.
Employees are encouraged to enter their benefit choices in MaineStreet within 31 days of their date of hire. To get started, follow the steps below:
To begin enrollment:
- Log into your MyCampus account at mycampus.maine.edu.
- From MyCampus, click on the "MaineStreet" dropdown. From here, click on "Employee Self Service:
- This will bring you into MaineStreet. From here, click on "Benefits"
- This will bring you into your Benefit Summary page. Click on "Benefits Enrollment"
- On the "Benefits Enrollment" tab, you will see a table with the event description, event date, your job title, and a "Start" button. Click on the "Start" button.
- This will bring you to your benefits enrollment pages, with boxes ranging from "Flex Spending Health" to medical/dental/vision insurances, as well as life insurances and retirement contributions. To enroll in medical insurances, click on the box that is titled "Medical"
- This area will have three different sections. At the top, it will have important information regarding medical plans, documents required for dependent verification, as well as wellness information. The middle will have dependents, and an "Add/Update Dependent" button to add new dependents. At the bottom, you will have a table that shows the different plans available to you. To add a dependent, click on the "Add/Update Dependent".
- On the next page, at the top, click on "Add Individual"
- A form will populate. Click on the "Add Name" button in the top left-hand corner to fill out their name. Complete the "Personal Information Section" and "Address" sections. In "National ID", click "Add National ID" and select the correct country (either US or Canada) that holds your national ID. This will either be a social security number, or social insurance number. If you do not have either, please contact the Employee Benefits Center. Lastly, fill out phone and email information if able.
- Click the green "Save" button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Once this is done, you will be brought back to the "Dependent and Beneficiary Information" page. At the top right-hand corner, to the right of "Dependent and Beneficiary Information" press the gray "X" Icon. This will bring you back to the Medical page.
- You will now see your new dependent listed on this page, with a checkoff box to the left of their name. If you want them to be on your medical insurance, check that box off.
- At the bottom of the screen, enroll in the plan you have selected by clicking the "Select" box to the left of the plan name.
- Click the green "Done" button in the top right-hand corner.
- Repeat for dental and vision.
- When finished, click the green "Select Enrollment" button at the top of the enrollment page. A warning will come up, click "done". Your status will switch to "entered", and you will be submitted!
Change Current Enrollments
After a newly-hired employee has enrolled in benefits, they may only change their coverages when there is a "qualifying life event" or during the annual open enrollment period. Open Enrollment is an annual event that gives employees the opportunity to review their benefit elections and decide if they wish to make any changes. Employees have a great deal of flexibility in designing their own personalized benefits package. Open Enrollment information is mailed to employees' home addresses in November of each year.
Qualifying life events are events that allow employees to change benefits outside of new hire events and open enrollment. In order to change benefit elections outside of the annual enrollment period, an employee must have:
- Experienced a qualifying life event, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and
- The employee must have made a request for a change of benefits within 31 days of the applicable qualifying life event.
Please see the following table for events resulting in options to enroll.
|EVENT TYPE||ENROLLMENT PERIOD||EFFECTIVE DATE OF COVERAGE|
|New Hire as full-time regular or part-time regular (at least 50% time)||31 days from date of hire||Date of hire for all benefit plans except retirement plans in which coverage begins the first of the month following the date of hire.|
|Change in employment status resulting in a significant change in medical and dental premiums (i.e. 50% to 75% FTE)||31 days from date of status change||Date of status change|
|Change in employment status to full-time regular or part-time regular in which employee, not previously eligible, is immediately eligible||31 days from date of status change||Date of status change|
|Part-time regular to full-time regular status change in which employee, not previously eligible, is immediately eligible||31 days from date of status change||Date of status change|
|Part-time regular becomes eligible for benefit regular status in which employee, not previously eligible, is immediately eligible||31 days from eligibility||Date of status change|
|Unpaid Leave of Absence (LOA) or Layoff||31 days from date of LOA or Layoff||Date of status change|
|Return from Unpaid Leave of Absence||31 days from date of return from LOA||Date of status change|
|Birth of Child||31 days from date of birth||Date of birth|
|Adoption of Child||31 days from the date the employee becomes legally responsible for the child||Date employee becomes legally responsible for the child*|
|A child loses UMS eligibility due to obtaining age 26||31 days from the date of the event||First of the month following the date of the event|
|Death of spouse, domestic partner, or child||31 days from date of death||First of the month following the date of death|
|Marriage / Divorce||31 days from date of marriage/ divorce||Add or remove dependents - First of the month following the date of marriage/divorce |
Employee not already enrolled – Date of status change
|Domestic Partnership / Dissolution of Domestic Partnership||31 days from satisfying Domestic Partnership requirements or date of dissolution|
Add or remove dependents - First of the month following completion of change form
|Gain or loss of other coverage||31 days from the date of the event|
Add or remove dependents - First of the month following the date of the event
|Exchange student||31 days from the date the employee becomes legally responsible for the student||Date employee becomes legally responsible for the student|
|Change in Day Care facility provider or increase/decrease in fees||31 days from date of status change||First of the month following the date of even|
View Current Enrollments
Employees currently enrolled in benefits may view their enrollment information online anytime. Simply log in to MaineStreet and navigate to Employee Self-Service > Benefits > Benefits Summary.