What is a Google Group?
With Google Groups, you can create online and email-based groups. There's a lot you can do with Google Groups:
- Engage in discussions about a specific subject.
- Create a question and answer customer support group for a product, such as a piece of software your company has written.
- Organize meetings, conferences, or social events among members of a group.
- Find people with similar hobbies, interests, or backgrounds.
- Read group posts through email, the online interface, or both.
Self-Creating a Google Group
You can create a Google Group from your own account!
Go to Groups from the Apps grid in the upper right corner of your email
Select Create Group
Give Group a name and description, choose Group type from the pull-down list, and set Basic permissions as desired. Then click CREATE at the top (this saves your settings.)
Under General Information, select topic types and posting options. Click Save at the top.
Select "Members" on the left to add members to your group. You can add a welcome message if you desire. (Members will receive an email about their group membership.) You can copy and paste a list of addresses to add as members, then click ADD. Note that the default is that all members will receive all email that is sent to the group. Adjust this setting if desired. (Members will also be able to adjust this for themselves.)
Look through the list below for "Completing the setup" to adjust any other settings.
You can also "Customize your Gmail account" to receive and send group messages. (see below)
IF you must have a Group that is hosted by maine.edu (the name will not include "-group" in the name):
Requesting a Google Group
To request a Google Group that is hosted by maine.edu, you can call UTSC (1-800-696-4357) and request to be ticketed. If you aren't sure, you can contact Carol Sobczak to discuss your needs ( email@example.com ). You will need to provide the following information:
1) Name and email of person who will initially manage the Group
2) Name of department, and brief description of how it will be used
3) Requested name for Group, utilizing the following naming convention: campus.department (or descriptor)@maine.edu
When all of the necessary information has been gathered, a request is submitted to EAST for creation of Group. When it is ready, manager will be notified by email with instructions for completing the setup.
Completing the Setup
Some of those instructions:
Customize your Gmail interface