Because of the Catalog Editor suspension, the Catalog process is different this year.
The difference is functionally minimal, but perceptually significant. Basically, Catalog Managers will do their work during Stage 1 (which will be extended to accommodate), Stage 2 will be solely for menu management (and therefore greatly truncated), and Stage 3 will be the normal Catalog Admin Review.
NOTE: Individual departments are still making their changes, but not in the CMS directly. Catalog Managers were provided a Word Doc version and a Google Doc version (see US:IT for more info). They are responsible for sharing the version of their choice to their departments, gathering all the changes back, and making all the changes in the CMS.
- On March 31, US:IT must remove the Catalog Editor role from
Halen Earleall users assigned that role.
- Catalog Managers continue to make changes until May 1 (extended from historical March 31 deadline)
- On March 31, Karin Pires should review the List Department Content view to check how many Catalog Pages/Degrees are NOT marked as ready and communicate this to Catalog Managers, as deemed relevant
- Repeat weekly or more often, as deemed necessary
- REMEMBER: Some content will be correctly Not Ready, but the system isn't smart enough to know when that is 'correct' or not, so this requires direct communication with page/degree owner.
- On May 1 (or thereafter, as deemed necessary), Karin Pires will move the system to Stage 2 (in contact with US:IT)
- IMPORTANT: Browser window MUST remain open until complete (this process will take some time)
- US:IT will prep the menu organization by college and department.
- US:IT will set all items to Approved
- If desired, Karin may allow Catalog Managers to organize the Catalog Menu as desired.
- In such case, Karin should review the List Migrated Content view to ensure that no page or degree changes are made, or, if they are, that they are complete (i.e., if content is assigned to both catalogs, both migrated versions need to be updated to match)
- If not desired (or once the Catalog Managers are finished with the menu and the above review has been performed), Karin will move the system to Stage 3
- IMPORTANT: Browser window MUST remain open until complete (this process will be quite quick)
- Karin (the only user with access) will review and make any further changes
- Karin will need to remember that changes to any content that appears in both catalogs will need to be made manually to both Migrated versions of said content
- Original department versions are automatically updated when the migrated versions are updated during Stages 2 and 3 – NOT during Stage 1, which would obviously screw everything up
- Karin will then publish the catalog
- IMPORTANT: Browser window MUST remain open until complete (this process will take up to a few hours)
Assuming all goes well, the elements of direct US:IT Involvement in this process will be:
- Creating new Catalog Pages or Catalog Degrees, as requested by Karin Pires
- Removing the Catalog Editor role from Halen Earle (and any other Catalog Editors) on March 31
- Prepping the Catalog Menu at the beginning of Stage 2
- Setting all Stage 2 Catalog Content to 'Approved'
- Deleting any Migrated Catalog Pages or Degrees during Stage 2 or 3, as requested by Karin Pires
Apart from these items, any involvement should be in an advisory/support capacity (this is only Karin's second time publishing the catalog).