News Items (if present) and can be one-time, recurring, or extended in length. The next 5 upcoming Events will display on the homepage, followed by a 'See all events' link which brings users to the Calendar view. Events are also included automatically on USM's main News & Events page, but differ from News Items in two important ways:Events appear on the subsite homepage below
- Only upcoming events are listed on the homepage (old events are only visible via the Calendar view)
- Events display the date they are happening, rather the date they were published
Generally speaking, Events are in the future and News Items refer to the past.
- Event Title:(Required) Title of event.
NOTE: If this is changed after creation, the URL will remain the same as the original name
- Excerpt: a short description of the event that displays on the USM Calendar pages.
- Public Event: indicates the event is open to the general public; events marked as Public will appear on the public events calendar.
- Student Event: indicates the event is open to students; events marked as Student will appear on the student events calendar.
- Ongoing Event: indicates the event spans multiple consecutive days. Repeating events (e.g., events that happen weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc.) are not considered Ongoing Events and should not be marked as such. Ongoing Events are displayed in their own "Ongoing Events" block in the sidebar of the USM Calendar pages, as well as in the main display.
NOTE: See "Multi-Day Events" warning, below
- Event Date and Time:(Required) At least one date block entry is required
- From Date:(Required) mm/dd/yyyy
- From Time: hh:mm AM/PM
- Increments of 15 minutes
- To Date: mm/dd/yyyy
- If left blank, a single-day event will be created
- To Time: hh:mm AM/PM
- If left blank, will take same time as From Time
- Add another item: Click this button to add another date entry. The new entry will be pre-filled with the next consecutive day information and the hours of the previous date.
- Location: Location of event
- Description: Use the Text Editor to enter the description, images, etc.
- Cross-post on USM Events Calendar: Check this box if your event is open to the public and you would like it cross-posted on the comprehensive USM Events Calendar. You should not cross-post classes (unless they allow drop-in participation) or private events.
- Contact Name:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Email:
- Image: When included, will appear directly below Event header info, ahead of Description
- Minimum dimension: 910px x 575px
- Cost: Plain text field of up to 80 characters
- Directions Link: Plain text, max 255 characters
- Call to Action Button Label: Select list of text options:
Sign Up Now
Call to Action Link: Plain text, max 255 characters. The button will only display if both the Call to Action Button Label field and the Call to Action Link field have values.
- Event Schedule Link: Plain text, max 255 characters
Types of Events
Standard, single day events
- 'All Day' event: Leave both the From Time and To Time fields empty
- 'Instantaneous' event: Leave the To Date and To Time fields empty
For events that occur on or over multiple days, use the 'Add another item' function to create separate entries (with customizable start and end times for each entry)
NOTE: There is no automated daily/weekly/monthly functionality. For regularly repeating events, each new date must be created separately, as above.
Using a single date block to span multiple days will display as a single 'bar' across the intervening days in the calendar view (or at the start of each intermediary day in list view). Often used for gallery displays and similar.
NOTE: USE WITH CARE: Such an event is technically spanning every 24-hour period between the start and end times, including any intervening weekends and holidays, which could be misleading to audiences. For shorter events, such as conferences and such, follow the 'Recurring' instructions, above.
Changing the start date of an existing event can cause a bug. A workaround is described here.
Department Calendar Page
Each department has a Calendar page located at:
https://usm.maine.edu/[sub-site path]/events which is automatically populated when Event items are published.
This page displays in a calendar format by default in wide-display browsers (i.e., desktop) and in a list format in a narrow-display mobile and tablet browsers. When viewed on a desktop, site visitors can toggle between calendar and list view.