Login to the CMS (see: Logging in)
Choose View Members from the My Groups tab.
Member is the lowest permission level. Members can author content, but cannot publish it. They cannot manage the list of site users.
To add members to your site:
- Choose the Add members tab
- Type in the UMS ID of each user
NOTE: Multiple users may be added, with each ID separated by a comma (",")
- Click Add users.
Publisher is the next permission level. Publishers can author and publish content, but they cannot manage the list of site users.
To grant a member the Publisher role:
- Click the Configure roles tab
- Check the group publisher checkbox next to the user's ID
NOTE: un-checking the box will revert the user to a Member role
- Click Save
Admin is the highest level of permission available. Group Admins may author and publish content. They may also add members, grant Admin status to members, and remove members from the group entirely.
IMPORTANT: The Admin role is reserved for regular USM staff members and should be granted with caution.
To grant/revoke Admin status:
- Choose List
- Click Admin: Create next to a user's ID
NOTE: Clicking Admin: Remove will remove the Admin role from any current Admins
Contributors to your site will have one of three statuses: Member, Publisher, or Admin (see User Roles).
All users may:
Only Group Admins may:
NOTE: A single user may be added to any multiple groups and that user may be assigned different roles for each of those different groups.
For example, Amanda Jones may have all of the following roles, as granted by the Admins of the respective groups:
- Group Member of the "Engineering Department" Group
- Group Publisher of the "College of Science, Technology and Health" Group
- Group Publisher of the "Admission" Group
- Group Admin of the "Financial Aid Office" Group
The Web CMS has 3 primary roles:
- Group Member
- Group Publisher
- Group Admin
Users may belong to one or more Groups, and one or more roles within a group.
The Group Admin role should be reserved for regular faculty and staff employees of the university. Do not give Group Admin roles to any user who is not faculty or staff, since that user will then have complete control over the group site, including the ability to remove all other users (such as other Group Admins).
Roles pertaining to the management of the academic catalog (editing degrees, etc.) are discussed here .
View the Members of a given group in one of two ways:
- From the My Groups screen, click the View Members link for the desired group
- From within a group, click the Group Member List link in the Admin Tools menu
To add a user to your group:
|title||First time CMS users|
New users to the CMS must login once BEFORE they may be added to a group.
- Click the Add People link
- Enter the UMS (MaineStreet) login of each user
Ex: "william.d.blais", "alfred.newman", etc.
- Check the desired roles for the user
NOTE: Not assigning any roles will add the user as a Member (see 'User Roles', above)
- Click Add users
To edit the role(s) of a current user in your group:
- Click the Edit link for that user
- Check/Uncheck the desired roles for the user
- NOTE: Not assigning any roles will add the user as a Member (see 'User Roles', above)
- Click Update membership
To remove a user from your group:
- Click the 'Edit' link next to the desired user
- On the next page, click the 'Remove' link next to the 'Update membership' button
- Confirm the removal on the next screen