Unlike coding straight HTML (where it is your responsibility to create different types of content), the Web CMS uses pre-defined and pre-formatted content types * that you add your content to.
While this does mean there is less initial flexibility for designing the look and feel of a particular page or sub-site , this method (see Sub-Site Homepage Layout), it allows the college to present a unified and consistent appearance to our visitors, regardless of where they are within the site.
|Table of Contents|
|title||Content Types, aka Blocks|
The term "content types" is often replaced by "blocks", because of the way these individual pieces are added together to create a page.
List of Editable Content Types
- Accordion Pages
- Audio (Embedded)
- Catalog Degree Supplemental
- Department Carousel Slides
- Department Contact Block
- Department Information Blocks
- Department Navigation Additional Links
- Galleries (Image Collections)
- Gallery Images
- Location & Hours
- News Items
- Office Hours
- Office Hours Exceptions
Including: Advising, Departments, Financial Aid, Outreach, Overview, Programs, Research, Services, etc.
- Social Dashboard Links
- Video (Embedded)
Including: Contact Us
Pre-Created Pages (Sub-Site Navigation)
Several Page content types (plus Contact Us, which is a Webform) are created by default when a sub-site is created, depending on whether or not the site is for an academic group. These pages make up the list of links in a group's Sub-Site Navigation (in the left column of a group). The majority of these pages are not published when the site is created, however, and their links will not appear in the left-side navigation until the pages published.
To edit and publish these pages, you must go to the Content List, filter on the "Page" Type, click on the desired page, and edit/publish as desired.
The following table shows which items are created by default for each group type, and which of those content areas are published.
Degrees & Certificates*
Location & Hours
Location & Hours
* Asterisks indicate aggregate views, or pages that are collections of other types (e.g., there is no editable 'Degrees & Certificates' content type. Instead, that page automatically pulls in all the published Degrees & Certificates items, listing it alphabetically).
Admin Tools menu
The Admin Tools menu appears in the right column and provides quick links for creating new content (to edit existing content, navigate to desired item as normal or go to the Content List to search for the content).
- Group Home [links to group's landing page]
- Group Member List
- Group Content List
- CMS Documentation [new window link to this manual]
- Create Catalog Degree Supplemental
- Create Department Carousel Slides
- Create Department Information Blocks
- Create Embedded Audio
- Create Event
- Create Faculty
- Create Gallery
- Create Gallery Image
- Create News Item
- Create Office Hours Exception
- Create Page
- Create Social Dashboard Links
- Create Staff
- Create Webform
- Create Embedded Video (YouTube)