1. Save the attached CNADV4045U1.PPD printer file, and then place it inside the Resources folder at:
Macintosh HD > Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources
(You may have to enter your OS X account password to allow adding it to this location.)
2. Apple Menu > System Preferences... > Print & Scan (or Print & Fax for an older operating system)
3. Press the "+" icon in the lower left. (Choose "Add Printer or Scanner" if it pops up.)
4. Select the IP icon
5. Use or enter the following settings:
Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD
Location: (not necessary, but Corthell 104A if you'd prefer)
Use: Select Printer Software, type in "C5041", and select "Canon iR-ADV C5045/5051". If it's installed, don't select the option with "PS" at the end.
Press OK, and then press Add
6. If you work primarily from the Music Department offices, you may wish to set it as your default printer.
B. Setting print options, and saving printing presets
Safari is the best choice for setting and viewing options because it's installed on all Macintosh computers. The methods outlined below may be different depending on the program you're using. Adobe Acrobat Reader, Firefox, and Microsoft Office 2008 and 2011 all use their own custom print screens.
If you often print multipage documents, you'll probably find it convenient to add printing presets instead of having to set options every time you print.
1. Open Safari
2. Select the proper printer
File > Print > Choose MUSIC-IRC5051 printer from drop-down menu
3. Select the detailed print screen
(OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.7) Show Details button
(OS X 10.6) Click the triangle to the right of the printer to show a more detailed print screen
4. Set orientation:
File > Print > Orientation > (Portrait or Landscape)
(In other programs, the page orientation is often in File > Page Setup...)
5. If you see a check box for "Two-Sided" in this screen, don't check it here.
6. Set layout:
Underneath the Portrait and Landscape icons is a program-specific drop-down menu. Here, it will say "Safari". From this menu, choose "Layout"
Once Layout is chosen, there will be choices under the "Two-Sided" drop-down, select one of the three choices: Off, Long-Edge binding, or Short-Edge binding
7. Set a stapling option:
After the Layout choice is made, go back to the previous drop-down menu (currently Layout, previously Safari) and choose:
After Printer features is chosen, Feature Sets: Paper will appear. From the drop-down menu where Paper appears, choose Finishing 2.
The following stapling options should be chosen:
(a) For Portrait, Two-Sided, Long-Edge Binding, staple in upper left: 1 Staple (Port LU/Land RU)
(b) For Landscape, Two-Sided, Long-Edge Binding, staple in upper left: 1 Staple (Port LB/Land LU)
(c) For Landscape, Two-Sided, Short-Edge Binding, staple in upper left: 1 Staple (Port LB/Land LU)
8. You will find it easier to set presets for selecting often-used printing options (other than single-sided with no stapling). Once the proper settings are chosen, they can be saved (and edited) under
File > Print > Presets
Example preset names could be:
MUSIC-IRC5051 Portrait Long-Edge Binding
MUSIC-IRC5051 Landscape Long-Edge Binding
MUSIC-IRC5051 Landscape Short-Edge Binding
MUSIC-IRC5051 Portrait Long-Edge Binding Staple UL
MUSIC-IRC5051 Landscape Long-Edge Binding Staple UL
MUSIC-IRC5051 Landscape Short-Edge Binding Staple UL