FileZilla is an FTP and SFTP client that allows users to access files and folders that are stored on network drives or on an FTP Server. In order to maintain files on university web sites, you might want to use FileZilla. You may do so a couple of ways:
- University computers on campus are equipped with FileZilla that is ready to use on campus.
- You may download a copy of FileZilla for your personal machine and configure it to work with university resources
The following will offer you some hints on how to set up FileZilla for use with USM Resources from both on and off campus. (FileZilla is designed for use on machines using a Windows operating system; Mac and Linux versions will be available soon.)
University Windows computers already have FileZilla pre-installed and the configuration pre-determined so that it will work with the USM web server. To use FileZilla on campus:
- Click on the Start menu, and then navigate to the USM Apps folder. There you will find a shortcut to FileZilla.
- Once you have opened FileZilla, click on File in the menu bar, and select Site Manager....
- The Site Manager will list the FTP sites that are currently configured. You will notice that the USM Netware Server and www.usm.maine.edu (the web server) are listed.
- Selecting www.usm.maine.edu, you will notice that the Host, Port, and Servertype are filled in for you. You will have to fill the appropriate User name if it is not already filled in for you, and click Connect.
If you would like to use FileZilla from a non-university computer or off-campus computer, then you may download it at http://web1.uct.usm.maine.edu/computing/downloads/http://usm.maine.edu/helpdesk/downloads. FileZilla is located on this page under the heading Web Design & Development. Choose the version appropriate for your operating system.
Once you have downloaded FileZilla, you are ready to install it. Run the installation file, and the wizard will walk you through the installation process. The installer may ask you whether or not you want to install FileZilla in Secure Mode. This means that from session to session, FileZilla will not remember your passwords. For the security of your data, this is recommended.
Configure FileZilla to Access USM Resources
With FileZilla installed, you will need to configure access to the USM web server. The USM web server will allow you FTP access to maintaining the files for your university web site.
Open FileZilla, and from the File menu, select Site Manager... to begin configuring the access to your USM resources. Then click the New Site button in the bottom left hand corner of the site manager. You will be prompted to name your FTP site. You will then need to fill in the Host, Port, and Servertype as well as the appropriate User name and click Connect. This will save your site for future use, and attempt to login and access the site immediately.
Use the information below to set up your sites.