Using the Quick Links content type as an example, the following steps show how to add or edit links to online content that is external* to the CMS (such as Blackboard, MaineStreet and any non-USM web sites).
Linking to Files in CMS
* To add links to specific files (such as PDFs, spreadsheets, Word documents, etc.) that exist within the CMS via the File Browser, see: Linking to Files within the CMS
1. Select text
- Highlight the text to be linked (or link to be edited)
- Click the Insert/edit link icon
2. Enter Info
In the pop-up window, enter the following information:
- Url: Required. This must be the full URL, including the proper prefix (such as "http://", "https://" or other type).
Text to Display: Required. This is the text of the link. (This defaults to the text selected before clicking the link tool.)
- Title: Optional, but strongly urged. This text is used to create the tooltip text when a user hovers over the link and is used by screen readers for accessibility (see Step 3 for examples).
Target: Optional. Leave as is for most links. By default, it opens links in the same window.
Opening links in a new window
This may be changed to open the link in a new window, but new window links cause problems for accessibility (screen readers, etc.) and may also confuse general user experience. If you must create a new window link, please indicate this behavior in the link or the text around the link.
3. Save link
- Click OK
- Publish the content when finished
- Below are examples of links created with and without the Title field entered as they appear to the user.
With Title data
Without Title data