USM utilizes Google Analytics for tracking web traffic on usm.maine.edu. Departments can request access by contacting email@example.com.
How to Login
Use your @maine.edu account to login:
- Go to http://google.com/analytics and click the Sign In link.
- Note: You must sign in with your @maine.edu account to access USM's Google Analytics data; if you are already signed into Google with another account, you'll need to switch to, or add, your @maine.edu account.
- Enter your full UM System email address (@maine.edu) in the Email field, then select Next.
- You'll reach a second UM System login screen. Here you'll enter both the first part of your @maine.edu address and your password (same credentials as MaineStreet).
- Once logged in, select the "usm.maine.edu" property and you'll have access to all analytics data for usm.maine.edu.
How to Filter for Sub-site Pages
- In the left column menu, select Behavior > Site Content > All Pages.
- Use the search/filter box (it's positioned below the graph and above the table list of pages) and enter the path to the site's landing page (example: /computing) for the filter.
How to View Link Click Data
- In the left column menu, select Behavior > In-Page Analytics.
- Google Analytics will try to load the USM home page in a frame further down the page. In most browsers, an error message will appear saying there was a problem loading in-page analytics and a browser security warning may appear. Close Google Analytics' warning box and then adjust your browser security settings to load the framed content on the page as follows:
- in Chrome, click the shield icon on the right side of the browser's address bar and select "Load unsafe scripts";
- in Firefox, click the shield icon on the left side of the browser's address bar and select "Disable protection on this page";
- in Internet Explorer, look for a security warning prompt (sometimes displayed at the bottom of the browser window), and set it to show all content (refresh the page, if needed, to force the warning message to re-appear).
- Once the USM homepage has loaded in the frame, you can navigate through the site directly in the frame to get to the page where you want to track link clicks.
- Click data displays near each link as percentage of the total page clicks for the page for the date range specified.
- The date range can be adjusted in the date picker dropdown near the upper right side of the Google Analytics page. For pages that may see periodic changes in traffic, it may be beneficial to adjust the date range to capture relevant data.
- Multiple links to the same destination page will show as a total aggregate percentage for the destination and will not distinguish between how many users clicked one instance vs. another. For example, a page that contains a link to Athletics in the global navigation bar and another link to Athletics further down the page will show the same total percentage for both link locations.
- Link clicks to sites or pages outside of the usm.maine.edu domain cannot be tracked with this method.