The "Tempest" WiFi network has been replaced by the "EduRoam" WiFi network for most devices. Only use the "Tempest" WiFi network for devices that present an extreme difficulty connecting to "EduRoam". Examples of devices that cannot yet use "EduRoam" are Google Chromecast, Amazon Echo, and other devices without a way to display a captive web portal.
Follow these simple steps to register a new wireless device to the "Tempest" wireless network.
This information applies to all wireless devices with a MAC address, including Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, iPhone, Playstation, XBox, and even USB wireless adapters.
- Select "Tempest" from the list of available wireless networks on the new device
Your device should automatically load a web page that displays your MAC address (for example: 00:1D:FE:A8:90:D4) where you can click "Register"
MAC does not mean this only works for Apple products. It is an acronym for the unique ID of your network device
- Follow the instructions to login and enter your details
If clicking the "Register" button results in an error or fails for any reason, go back and write down the MAC address from the previous web page, then perform the following steps:
- From a device with an internet connection, navigate to https://helpdesk.maine.edu/device-registration and sign in using your Maine Street credentials
- Read the information at the top of the registration page before continuing, and be sure to follow any steps that apply to you
- Scroll down and enter your MAC address into the "MAC Address" text box. (How to find MAC address on most devices: http://bit.ly/1glWv11)
- Choose the appropriate type of device under the "Device Type" pull-down.
- Click "Register your device"
4. Now, simply reboot the new device and you should now have unrestricted access to the "Tempest" wireless network!
Remove Guest Network