Some project web sites affiliated with USM are hosted on a dedicated server (web2) separate from USM's web content management system (CMS). The following instructions will assist you in setting up FTP access to non-CMS web sites in Dreamweaver CS6.
Configure the Site
- From the Dreamweaver menu, either:
- create a new site: go to Site > New Site; or
- edit an existing site: go to Site > Manage Sites and then select the pencil icon displayed below the list of sites.
- In the Site Setup box, select "Servers" in the left column.)
- Select the '+' icon at the bottom of the server list to add a new server.
- Configure the server (substitute example settings in brackets with settings for your own site):
- Server Name: web2
- Connect using: SFTP
- SFTP Address: web2.doit.usm.maine.edu
- Username: [your user id]
- Password: (leave this field blank so that you'll be prompted when you connect)
- Root Directory: /home/depts/[example]
- Web URL: [http://example.com]
- Save all settings.
Connect to the Server
- Verify that your are connected to USM's VPN.
- Open the site in Dreamweaver.
- In the Files panel, select the Connect icon (it looks like two unconnected electrical plugs). When prompted, enter your password and click OK.
- As needed, switch between your "Local view" and the "Remote server" by using the drop-down selector to the right of the site selector.
Upload Files to the Server
- Verify that the Files tab is set to show local files ("Local view").
- Select the file(s) you want to upload from your Local Files list and click the upload icon (it looks like a blue arrow pointing upward).
Download Files from the Server
- Verify that the Files tab is set to show remote files ("Remote server").
- Select the file(s) you want to download from the Remote Server list and click the download icon (it looks like a green arrow pointing downward).
Questions? Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.